Volunteering During COVID-19
Shobi’s Table is seeking regular volunteers to serve either in the kitchen or at the truck during the lunch hour. Every volunteer is asked to consider his/her own health as well as those within your home before volunteering.
- STAY HOME if you feel unwell: If you have experienced any symptoms of COVID-19 or any other infectious disease, are immuno-compromised, have a higher chance of contracting the illness, or have been in contact with someone else who has (or may have), please stay home.
- LIMITED NUMBERS: Only 5 people are allowed in the kitchen and dish room at one time, so that physical distancing is possible. With Deacon Kari and one Assistant at all shifts, that leaves room for up to 3 more volunteers.
- ONE HOUSEHOLD AT A TIME: We have 3 open spots for every kitchen shift, but we ask that they only be filled by ONE household. No worries if it’s just one person! We’d rather have just one and be safe!
- WEAR A MASK: All volunteers will be required to bring and wear masks (any kind).
- PHYSICAL DISTANCING: All volunteers practice physical distancing to the best of our ability. We move around a lot in the kitchen, and acknowledge that we are not always able to keep 6 feet of distance at every moment, but we do our best.
- GAPS between Shifts: On Wednesdays we have two shifts. To create a gap between volunteers, we will ask that the first group leave at 3:30pm.
We are hopeful to gain a crew of regular volunteers who can serve with us on a regular basis – e.g. once every 4-6 weeks.
These folks come to help with kitchen prep (chopping lots of vegetables, portioning out meals, and help with general cooking tasks) and cleaning (running the dish machine, keeping our kitchen in a clean and safe condition). Volunteers must wear closed-toed shoes, clean clothes, a mask and come with their hair restrained. We limit the total amount of people in the kitchen and dish room to 5, 2 of which are staff, and so we can have a maximum of 3 volunteers per shift with us. If you would be more comfortable with less than 5 people in the room, you may also sign up for multiple slots so that it is just you, or you and folks with whom you live (who are trained). If you are sick, please stay home and let Deacon Kari know. Once you’ve applied, and been trained (see below), you can sign up for shifts as follows:
- Wednesday (1st shift): 2-4pm
- Wednesdays (2nd shift): 4-6pm
- Thursdays: 9am-noon
- Fridays: 9am-noon
All kitchen and dish team volunteers are required to be trained in the Shobi’s Table commercial kitchen space prior to volunteering, with a maximum of three people per training session to keep physical distancing protocols. Training is currently scheduled on Wednesdays at 2:00 p.m. and 5:00pm at Christ at Capitol Hill. You must sign up with Deacon Kari before you come.
These folks serve at the truck location from 11:45 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. on Thursdays or Fridays and will walk the surrounding neighborhood to share about Shobi’s Table and show them where the truck is parked, invite people to lunch, share hospitality and conversation with customers, and help with physically distanced serving protocol. Then, if you are able, you will return to the kitchen with us to help finish any dishes and clean up.