Interested in volunteering at Shobi’s Table? That’s wonderful news! We’d love to have you. At this time we allow for up to three volunteers per shift. It’s great a great time to meet a new friend if you come by yourself, or also to bring a friend or family member!
Shobi’s Table seeks to build community through our work together. We are a community of people who respect and love one another, no matter where we come from or what beautiful identities we hold. We seek to honor and respect each other’s stories as we learn more about each other. We seek to be a welcoming place where people’s identities that have often or sometimes put them on the margins, can feel at home. We ask that each person who comes to be a part of the community to actively love and respect each person present in these same ways.
We are hopeful to gain a crew of regular volunteers who can serve with us on a regular basis – e.g. once every month, once every other week, or every week!
Volunteering Health Protocols
Shobi’s Table is seeking regular volunteers to serve either in the kitchen or at the truck during the lunch hour. Every volunteer is asked to consider his/her own health as well as those within your home before volunteering.
- STAY HOME if you feel unwell: If you have experienced any symptoms of COVID-19 or any other infectious disease, are immuno-compromised, have a higher chance of contracting the illness, or have been in contact with someone else who has (or may have), please stay home.
- LIMITED NUMBERS: Only 5 people are allowed in the kitchen and dish room at one time, so that physical distancing is possible. With our Kitchen Manager Renee and one Assistant at all shifts, that leaves room for up to 3 more volunteers. If you would be more comfortable with less than 5 people in the room, you may also sign up for multiple slots so that it is just you, or you and your household.
- MASKS: All volunteers will be required to bring masks. At the beginning of the shift we will decide together whether or not to wear masks – depending on how may people are vaccinated, as well as the comfort level and needs of each person.
- PHYSICAL DISTANCING: All volunteers practice physical distancing to the best of our ability. We move around a lot in the kitchen, and acknowledge that we are not always able to keep 6 feet of distance at every moment, but we do our best.
Volunteer positions available:
Kitchen and Dish Room
Duties: These folks come to help with kitchen prep (chopping lots of vegetables, portioning out meals, and help with general cooking tasks) and cleaning (running the dish machine, keeping our kitchen in a clean and safe condition). Folks who would like to stay in the dish room, please sign up just for a Dish Room slot.
Dress: Volunteers must wear closed-toed shoes, clean clothes, a mask and come with their hair restrained.
Group size: We limit the total amount of people in the kitchen and dish room to five, one or two of which are staff, and so we can have a maximum of three volunteers per shift with us.
Kitchen Volunteer Shift Times:
- Monday: 3:30-5:30 pm
- Tuesday: 9:00 am-12:00 pm
- Wednesday: 3:30-5:30 pm
- Thursday: 9:00 am-12:00 pm
- Friday: 9:00 am-12:00 pm
All kitchen and dish team volunteers are required to be trained in the Shobi’s Table commercial kitchen space on their first day volunteering. Please add a note to your first shift sign up that you will need to be trained and arrive 15 minutes early to the shift.
Duties: Volunteers who come to help at the truck can expect to expand our reach of hospitality. You may hand out flyers, serve coffee and water, help bag up meals, or just chat with folks who come by. If you have time afterward, please come back to Christ on Capitol Hill and help us with the dishes.
Dress: Dress for the weather. Hats and sunscreen when it’s hot, warm jackets and boots when it’s cold.
Group size: Two volunteers for each shift (email if you’d like to bring a larger group)
Truck Host Volunteer Times:
- Tuesday: 11:45am – 2:00pm
- Thursday: 11:45am – 2:00pm
- Friday: 11:45am – 2:00pm
Volunteer Contact Info
Any questions about volunteering can be directed to our Volunteer Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org.